Please contact Professor Ogata if you are interested in joining in our bioinformatics laboratory.
Potential Grad Students
Our laboratory is associated with two graduate schools of Kyoto University. Potential graduate students (Master/2 years or Doctor/3 years) will have to be qualified for admission to one of the following two graduate schools.
- Graduate School of Science (Department of Biophysics, Division of Biological Science)
- Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences (Division of Bioinformatics and Chemical Genomics)
These two graduate schools organize their entrance exam independently.
Please check the following web pages for the deadlines of application and the dates of entrance exam, although we strongly recommend you to contact us first.
- for Graduate School of Science (in Japanese)
- for Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences (in Japanese)
- for Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences (in English)
Very approximatively, the admission processes by the graduate schools are yearly scheduled as below.
|Graduate school of Science||Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences|
† It is generally recommended that the applicants have stayed at least six months as a research student (see below) in the laboratory prior to application to the Doctor or Master programs. The six months stay is indeed mandatory for the admission to the Master course of the Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
‡ These exams are carried out only in Japanese.
Japanese government scholarship
Our laboratory does not provide financial support to research students or graduate students. For those who need financial supports, we strongly recommend applicants to obtain a scholarship by themselves, such as the Japanese government (MEXT) scholarship.
Potential graduate students may apply to research students (“Kenkyu-sei”) of the Institute for Chemical Research for short stay (usually 6 to 12 months) in our lab before becoming a graduate student. Many of the past students from abroad used this system. This research student system may allow you to familiarize yourself with life in Japan and to prepare the entrance exam of the graduate schools. However, note that a research student status does not ensure the admission to the graduate school (regular student status); you need hard work to win the competitive entrance exam.
- Application for research students starting from October 2023 has been closed.
- Application for ressearch students starting from October 2024 will be open from December 2023 to Februray 2024. Entrance examination for the applicants will be organized in March-April 2024.
Fees are subject to change. Please refer to relevant offcial pages cited above for update.
|Graduate student||Research student|
|Exam fee||30,000 Yen||9,800 Yen|
|Admission fee||282,000 Yen||84,600 Yen|
|Tuition fee||535,800 Yen / year||29,700 Yen / month|
- Why Kyoto University?
- Some useful links…
- Admissions Assistant Office — for applicants from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
- Handbook for International Students (Kyoto Univ.)
- iLab (Graduate School of Science)
- LIMS (Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences)